June 5 2018
2018 Winter Interior Styling Trends
Winter is all about nesting, and relaxing in a homely and perfectly-imperfect space.
After years of white on white minimalist homes, rich moody hues are back. Dark tones for walls and lush velvets pave the way forward for winter, and work well with metallic’s which are still here to stay.
So to create your cocoon, look to nature for inspiration through natural forms and materials, in organic shapes and textures. The trend for unrefined timbers, soft linens, rattan, and a Japanese design aesthetic called Wabi-Sabi , is all about embracing the beauty of imperfection, with earthy, rough, handmade pieces that add warmth and personality.
Another big trend this winter is tribal accessories. Art using rope and yarn, and shell and bone, is a fabulous way to add interest. And don’t forget rugs, cushions, and bedspreads that are thick, loosely woven, and woolly, in black, white, or cream tones, to complete your winter cocoon.
Quick tips on how to create a warm look for winter:
• It’s all about texture, leather with patina, aged metal and weathered stone
• Add deeper tones of black, petrol blue or brown to the all-white space
• Industrial furniture in wood and metal set the vibe
• Introduce tribal decor with homewares
• Handmade sculptured art or imperfect earthy pieces add personality
• Include Geometric patterns on cushions, rugs and bedding